Monday, January 4, 2010

Rediscovering music in London

No swap or delete, just add more

I have come to the point where I just don’t know how to go from here. Of course deleting my entire music database on my iPod is extreme but now how to also cope with my new music interests. Better yet, how to keep increase my music library without just guessing at the music shop? Not that I particularly shop in them, but the question is how to stay knowing about this infamous bands or artists, even if you don’t know anything about them.

Someone told me about Spotify, a “music on demand and free” program available in the UK and some other countries in the EU. I have been a user of Rhapsody so I am aware of the model, but the new part here is that it is for free. That has been really great as now I am able to hear very different music from what I was used to do. That has answered my question, because basically, it allows you to share playlists, quite handy if you have a friend that is a music finder and likes to share the findings.

Because let me tell you a bit more about me, but I am not sure when is when your music preferences get defined in a person’s life but obviously it has to be at a very early stage, because I have been always a pop person, and my parents say that I used to belt out Gloria, the 80s song by Laura Branigan at the age of 2 or 3. That is hilarious and perhaps the reason why I have always been keen in that type of music. Of course, blame the parents of my bad taste in cheesy and commercial music is easy would say a psychologist.

Over the time I have been keen in listening that sort of music and stick to the Top 40 tunes of the year. I know, there is nothing wrong about it, but it has to be a little bit when you pass the age of 16, or not? I have been thinking about it a lot lately and perhaps the joy comes from the imaginary ride letting myself feel like in a film, obviously a very commercial one.

Since I have been living in London, I have let myself enjoy and try different things and broaden my horizons. People living here is quite unique and you can find people with the most odd or different passions. And you can get a taste of it by just popping to a small gig at local pubs or to a more professional one at the Barbican.

The vast choice of music, voices, instruments, sounds, and etc. is so big, that I understand why we foreigners, and non-born Londoners, get addicted to this city.

Lately, and with little help of the locals, I have been reintroduced to music. Genres I was aware they existed, like jazz or many others that I just wouldn’t be able to say which one is, because I don’t know the name of it or name them wrong. I am still processing and reorganizing my new personal taste; I still like pop, but now I also like other stuff. I am glad sites like Spotify allow me to have more tunes in my mind to musicalize my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment